L-citrulline is what is known as a non-essential amino acid. The kidneys transform L-citrulline into L-arginine, another amino acid, and into nitric oxide. These compounds not only boost your immune system, but they also improve the health of your blood vessels and your heart. It is commonly found in watermelon, but is now available in weight lifting supplements to enhance performance and results from your workout.
WHAT MAKES L-CITRULLINE A GREAT SUPPLEMENT?
- Helps to lower blood pressure attributed to prehypertension. This condition is a warning sign for high blood pressure, which also increases your risk of heart disease.
- Studies have shown that intravenous administration of L-citrulline helps reduce the risk of complications in children from blood pressure issues after heart surgery.
- L-citrulline may reduce moderate erectile dysfunction issues. Though not as strong as some ED options, it is considered a safe alternative.
- Animal research has shown this supplement to help with blood vessel complications from diabetes, as well as assisting in treating intestinal issues, liver disease, celiac disease, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, and malnourishment in elderly people.
- Research has shown it to increase the levels of protein in muscle, which aids in building more muscle and increase the quality of athletic performance.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
There have been no reported side effects, though it can affect other drugs you might be taking. If you are taking medication for blood pressure, erectile dysfunction, or heart disease, you should inform your doctor if you are considering taking L-citrulline supplements.
Not only does it improve your workout, but it offers a vast array of medical benefits. If you haven’t heard of this potentially life changing supplement before now, it’s time to investigate it today.